Journalists and Lawyers
There are good lawyers & bad lawyers. But we still know they follow the law. The power is in the institutions and systems that make them.
Journalists should be the same. The more I think about this, the more I like it.
- Lawyers have a “bar” organization that oversee’s the overarching ethics of behaviour
- Judges are external arbiters. Should an editor be the same?
- There is an open system of archives.
- Lawyers need to pass additional standards
- Not being a lawyer doesn’t preclude you from participating, but you’re still not a “lawyer”
- Law firms are legally set up in a specific way and can’t be set up otherwise
- Lawyers buy into ownership/partnership, and therefore have several fiduciary duties to balance
Have any more points to add?